Hi! I’m Gabe.
I’m a Technical Product Manager for HCX at VMware (where I’ve spent the last 6 years and change). Thank you the blog visit! Some tidbits about me:
Gabe at Home:
- My wife and I are the proud parents of a Brady bunch sized platoon!
- I’m endurance sports enthusiast. I ran my first half-marathon April 2018. Since then I’ve completed 8+ halfs, a full (26.2) marathon. This year I’m training for a 50mile Ultra.
I am Spartan! AROO! I completed 4 races last year (finished a 2018 trifecta). This year I’ve completed my first 2019 trifecta (hoping to finish a few more), a 4HR Hurricane Heat and I’m training for my a Spartan Ultra (30mi/50km & 60 soul crushing obstacles). That will happen sometime in October…
Gabe at Work.
You can find my career details on LinkedIn.. but since you’re reading, here are some highlights:
- I enlisted in the US Navy from 2001 to 2006. Completed one honorable tour of duty. Spent most of it overseas!
- After the Navy enlistment, I worked as a Systems Admin (and as a part time country club server). I fell in love with technology, ditched the country club work, and went all in. Learned Windows Servers, Cisco Routing and Switching, Cisco UCS. Administering monitoring applications gave me exposure to a wide variety of technology.
- I worked a contract for a large bank. Fixing problems 12hrs a day, 5-6 days a week.
- VCE the VMware, Cisco, EMC joint venture (now Dell EMC) brought me on as the first “vPlatform Support Engineer” at HQ. Got to love and hate the VBLOCK hyper-converged platform. It was fun supporting the entire stack, after the focused time operating mostly in Cisco CLIs in the previous work.
- I joined VMware in 2012. Initially joined to help build and support the first VMware cloud (the now defunct vCloud Air). I transitioned into a rockstar R&D group and continued with a set of technologies that became what is now the VMware HCX service.
- I haven’t left! I’m currently serving humbly as the Technical Product Manager for HCX.